Periodontal disease is an infection of the structures surrounding your teeth, including your gums and jawbone. Bacteria found in dental plaque is the main cause of periodontal disease, while smoking, misaligned teeth, grinding or clenching of teeth, stress, and certain medications are also factors that contribute to this disease.
You may not even be aware you have gum disease because periodontal disease is a silent process and rarely causes pain. However, if you are experiencing any of the following warning signs, Dr. Lisa Marvil of Loudoun Periodontics can help.
- Bleeding gums while brushing
- Red, swollen or tender gums
- Constant bad breath
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth
- Loose or separating teeth
Regular checkups with a dentist and/or periodontist are important for recognizing and treating periodontal disease in its earliest stages. Habits that will help to prevent gum disease include:
- Brush at least twice a day for 2-3 minutes, ideally with an electric toothbrush
- Floss daily to remove plaque from hard to reach places
- Avoid tobacco use
- Eat a balanced diet
- Exercise preventative care and schedule regular dental cleanings
- Be aware that certain medications can contribute to gum disease
To schedule an appointment at Loudon Periodontics to have your gums examined, contact our office in Purcellville, VA at 540.338.4588 or in Sterling, VA at 703.430.0938. We use the most advanced lasers to provide minimally invasive periodontal care to treat your gums and repair your smile.